Friday, September 11, 2009

computer crashed!

Yeah, so my computer crashed today....
CRAP.
it would boot, but the fan was maxing out and would start loadi-CRASH! so opened and blew it out with my wet-dry vac on reverse, then put a box fan blasting on it with the cover open. tried lots of things, kept booting and maxing out.. a reboot screen eventually came up warning that the CPU was overheating causing shut-down. went into task manager right after startup and got into a shutting-them-down battle with anything loading trying to keep the strain dow-CRASH!
GREAT.
turns out my computer has a weird 4pin P4 CPU fan. not to be found at Badbuy, or two small shops i went by after that wasted trip (couldn't reach anyone by phone).
CRAP.
turns out my computer has become half of my life! oh man. weird how things creep up on us like that. it's relevant to imagine if we weren't able to plug in to electricity, how utterly shell-shocked millions of people would suddenly be. massive effects. think there's a shouthpark about there being no internet LOL.
was referred to seattle or the internet, and told to buy some thermal glue if i find one that fits.
GREAT.
it was after 6pm friday evening when i grabbed the "action pages" and started desperately calling random computer places.
i'm typing this now.
because someone actually called me back! one of the local computer shop owners (Renaissance Computer Services) lived nearby and had a computer that's CPU had toasted in a power surge with the same fitting fan, and EVEN fancy for me RAM that fits mine!
DOUBLE GREAT.
i've now doubled up to 1G (with more RAM that even runs at a higher speed) and have a fan (with some thermal glue yep) that works. the old one was always "loud," turns out it wasn't securely connected so was going crazy to keep up. new one is sort of chirpy, but SO quiet compared to my old one.
and the RAM boost is SOOOO noticeable. one of my pet peeves with my computer was waiting for the volume control to come up. if a vid was super loud or quiet i'd be waiting, messing around and frustrated until i could adjust it while blasting my speakers out or straining to hear. and inevitably restart the video over. i'd gotten used to waiting a LONG time for stuff to work after double clicking while i was multi-tasking to make vids or whatever. a trial of patience (less than 30seconds haha).
back up and running now. better than ever.
oh YEAH.

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you actually got it fixed in ONE day! ;-) Glad you found someone to help before the weekend long computer-store shut down! haha And its faster?! Fabulous!

    Can you imagine having dial-up again??? We are too spoiled now!

    How old is your computer? Mine is only 2 1/2 yrs old, but I'm scared it will crash too...then I will cry! Time to back up on my external hard-drive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, one day, fast. You could get a job helping people with computer problems the way you are able to fix yours. Tiff had to recently send hers in, waiting for it to come back with new hard drive. Its hard, we depend on these so much. Remember when we got our first one? It was because you "won" a discount for internet at school, we thought it would be fun to have one. We drove over to Tri cities and bought one, I think I paid $2,700 for it at the time! lol. That's when it all started, now we can't live without them! I start my full time job on it on monday!!! it still amazes me what computers can do. Keep posting, you can "practice" on us any time!!! We enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous indeed! to be fixed in a day and still SO much better. turns out the processor is really good (2.8Ghz) for a FREE computer tyson gave me for free. this frickin computer has changed my life!
    i was on dial-up only 2 1/2 short years ago, it's pathetic. comcast came today and fixed the drop outside (for free) and now my internet is working like it's "supposed to too." holy crap!
    i'm ROCKIN!!
    guess my house has been causing feedback that's been going back to the hub. HAHA oops!
    yeah, maybe i should try to fix computers...the guys i had to deal with were RETARDS.
    i sat there while some lady came in and the sleezy guy had run a FREE virus scan and told her there were "a hundred" of this and "sixteen" of that... B.S.!!!!! i saw her pay him 80 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. for the first computer, i thought we got that with lawsuit money from being run over by a car. right? i don't remember the internet discount, but i DO remember racking up a horrendous AOL long distance bill! oops!!
    not anymore.

    ReplyDelete